Gathering information, August 2021
Taking lessons from other local food initiatives around the country, in particular Tamar Grow Local in the West Country, we are investigating the possibility of establishing an online food hub, using proven and readily available technology, such as that of the Open Food Network.
Are you a local producer?
If so, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the above. Please take a couple of minutes to complete our online survey, which will greatly help us determine how we can best support local producers.
About Marches Grow Local
Marches Grow Local (MGL) is a not-for-profit group based in Shropshire. It works to strengthen a local food system in which more people eat more locally produced food. MGL is one practical response to the climate and environmental emergencies.
Why promote Local Food Systems?
Local food systems connect people and communities to the food they eat, their health and the environment.
Local food systems mean that more people are involved in growing and producing good, nutritious food – for themselves and their communities – and that more people have better and easier access to such food.
Local food systems can:
- strengthen the resilience of local food supply chains, an issue highlighted by recent pandemic related food shortages
- bring transparency to the quality, ethical standards and environmental sustainability of food production methods
- contribute to revitalising the local landscape, increasing biodiversity, preserving our precious soil and reducing carbon footprint
Key Target Areas:
MGL has identified five connected key areas to target:
- Strengthening the network of local producers, existing and new
- Establishing new food distribution channels appropriate to this rural area
- Educating people about local food systems and their role in wider food production, distribution and consumption issues
- Encouraging more people to grow and produce food, by building skills, knowledge and resilience
- Connecting people who have available land to new food production ventures
Any questions? Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marches Grow Local formed after an inspiring talk by Simon Platten at Tamar Grow Local (TGL). Find out about TGL’s journey to building a local, resilient food network by watching the webinar below.